Friday, October 5, 2007

just yesterday.....

So just yesterday she was.....
and then life comes really fast.

In the last 8 days Abby's had major dental work with her gum lasered. The next day it was an injury on the hurdles that got us a quick trip (well, if you call 4 hours quick) to the ER then the podiatrist the next day who immediately put her back in her very fashionable cast(oh my) the day after she'd made the track team. Then there was the quick run to the orthodontist to fix one brace - which ended up being 4 braces. Then there are the hormones and boyfriends and the kids getting suspended for kissing at school and the first encounter with a gay teacher talking about his boyfriend....and then the first track meet that the doc finally cleared her to run in- and the coach scheduled her for and then at the last minute because of a scoring error she was pulled out of her only event....


I remember really fretting about protecting her from the previews at rated "G" movies and it being such a big deal...and now I realize that was peanuts compared to this. I know we've got more road ahead of us - but, at this point I find it quite futile to try and protect their hearts - you can only prepare and pray.

There are so many things she deals with in life that are just foreign to me and my experiences - but I serve a God who is the same yesterday, today and forever - and so I prepare her the best I can and then I prayerfully lay her at the feet of God; again and again and again.

Is it enough?
i think that's the cross a mother carries - never knowing if her efforts are ever enough- but that too can be transformed to faith as you realize that "enough" isn't really one of those "God words" - it's more a "Ladies Home Journal" concept. In my weakness - my mustard seed of "enough"- is transformed into more than enough - even for Abby.

Great news though - she's doing great.
I'm pretty passionate about parenting - and creating in kids a moral warehouse that is accessible and fully equipped to help them navigate as much of life as possible while they're under the safe fortress of home. And this week I've been given a glimpse into the tools Abby has in play to handle conflict, disappointment, sin and compromise. Glory to God - it's looking good.

But still - she's 13 and in just 10 years she could be a college graduate with a car, apartment, job and a husband. 10 YEARS!!! that's a blink - it's all so fast.

...you know days like today I really mourn not getting to have more time with Abby when she was just a wee girl - the days of innocence come and go like the wind and then they're gone. I wish I could have held her as an infant and known I could at least protect her for that moment from all the bad and hard and sad things in life. Just a moment to take the pressure off her little heart.

But this week I've seen a young lady whom I respect, and really like. Lord, please keep speaking to her, and raising her in spite of us. You're doing great work!


I found a great baby picture of Abby -but I can't get it to post. You guys would love it.
I'll try again tomorrow.

Sleep with Jesus Abby - I love your guts little one! You have represented your family and your God incredibly well this week.

1 comment:

tara said...

Precious. She's blessed to have a mother like you....

Cindy & the Wards

Cindy & the Wards
June 2008

Welcome....

The Ward 5....

Abby's finishing her freshman year in high school.

Michael's 7 and we're finishing our first year of homeschooling.

Matti's 4 and spends his time at preschool and on the trampoline knocking out teeth!

Jeff's in the 89th Squadron at Andrews AFB flying 737's and being the Director of Personnel.

I am knee deep in answered prayers, goldfish and calendars!