Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Mommies....

What a privilege it is to spend every Wednesday morning with a group of like minded mommies pursuing some great things for our homes. I love Wednesday's - but I seem to come away in some sort of militant melancholy mood...with lots on my mind.

I have a passion to remind mommies that they are still seen by the God of the Universe. To remind them that He hasn't forgotten them or their hearts, or their favorite color or their dreams - that He has a running inventory of their concerns and knows the last time they had a leisurely afternoon to themselves. I want to tell them that He wants to love them wildly and romantically, and care for them and that He is far more invested in their children than even they are. I want to wrap them in blankets of scripture to assure them that "nothing is impossible for Him", that "all things work together for good", that "He will accomplish what concerns them with His unfailing love and mercy and compassion", and "He has a plan for them, their husbands and their kids", that "His yoke is easy and His burden is Light" I want them to find at the end of themselves and their best mommy efforts the superhero they've always dreamed of in God.

I'd also like to share a few tears, some real giggles and endless sweet tea at all of these encounters.

I've read that your calling is where your greatest passion and the worlds greatest need intersect. Well, the passion is there and I certainly see the need in the world I live in to take the burden off of mommy. There's this strange almost mutually exclusive idea in me that women need to let go and hold on differently. Invariably, the recurring theme I see in the eyes of mommies is bondage and fear and exhaustion. How exactly are we going to raise world changers with those components running thru us? We are consumed by the "shoulds", the "what ifs" and the "I'm trapped" - we spend most of our energy trying to keep those very real feelings hidden from everyone.

So if my megaphone were bigger I'd yell really loudly - "STOP the MADNESS - Lay this thing down".

Here's the bottom line - the Bible says that unless the Lord builds the house - the builders labor in vain. Ladies - that's us.
If God doesn't raise these kids - you are working in vain! You can't do it - you are not enough and you never will be - it's gotta be the Lords work.

If you are exhausted - find rest. Work on the discipline of turning life off and quieting your mind in the presence of a Living God. Learn what softens your heart - worship, nature, sitting in a beautiful cathedral and make it happen. If you are running on empty - you are setting yourself up for a long walk! Only you can change that - hire a sitter, or call a friend and honestly tell them - "I'm in trouble, I need help".

If you are scared - name it! Get a journal and name the elephants in the room - they lose so much of their power when they're out. Then take a look at your list of fears and compare that with what you know of God - if any/all of your fears were to come true - are any of them outside the realm of His care? If not - you're good. Just believe that.

If you're feeling trapped - choose life. I have this silly list in my bedside table of things that breathe life into me. When the world starts crashing around me to loudly and too fast and I can't hear my own heartbeat I actually have to look at my list to remind myself of what stirs my heart back to life. e.g. - great jazz, Allison Kraus, the wind, the sound of water on rocks, exercise, swimming especially...and the list goes on...if you know me you know Hallmarks stores are on that list too. In a quiet place - make your list and keep it somewhere - you're going to need it.

In 2 Corinthians 1 - Pauls tells us that the Lord will comfort us - so that we can comfort others. "Ladies and Gentleman, if the oxygen masks deploy please secure yours before helping others around you". It's contrary to our noble, martyred efforts - but it's the only way out of this pit we call life without ourselves.

Ladies, if you're still reading I believe God would really like to minister to you so that you are a ready vessel for Him to minister to your kids through. But you've got to be honest and vulnerable and patient with yourself as you learn how to receive.
Don't give up - don't give in...there's life in this life I promise.

5 comments:

tara said...

mmmm... that's a good word. Thank you.

Lindsay said...

Cindy- that really blessed me. thank you for sharing. Would you mind if I posted this on my blog. I have alot of mommy friends that read who would be blessed by it also.

Cindy and the Wards said...

Help yourself Lindsay -

Forever Young said...

I love your blog Cindy! You have so much GOOD stuff to say! You remind me that life is beautiful and it's because God created it.

Jill Waskow said...

Just found your blog!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are a wonderful writer.....and I love how your wisdom and love for God are woven into everything you write. I have only looked at the tip of the iceberg, but can't wait to read more. You are really gifted, and descriptive and great with metaphors and HUMOR!!!

Cindy & the Wards

Cindy & the Wards
June 2008

Welcome....

The Ward 5....

Abby's finishing her freshman year in high school.

Michael's 7 and we're finishing our first year of homeschooling.

Matti's 4 and spends his time at preschool and on the trampoline knocking out teeth!

Jeff's in the 89th Squadron at Andrews AFB flying 737's and being the Director of Personnel.

I am knee deep in answered prayers, goldfish and calendars!