Thursday, August 23, 2007

AAARGHHHH Alabama!!!

What a week to go to Alabama. 10 days of over 100 degree temperatures! Thank heavens for the pool, the bowling alley, the skating rink, McDonalds with an indoor playground and air conditioning. Please pray for the farmers down there - they could lose it all over this weather. It's incredibly sad.

And now, I'd like to preach for a minute - feel free to move on to your favorite game site if you'd prefer not to hear my rantings.
I desperately want to see my brothers life touched by Jesus. For several years now I've pursued intentionally loving him in the ways it appears he enjoys being loved - wanting to build a relationship with him and wanting to share the love of Jesus with him.
So.... I was just in Alabama for 10 days and got to spend some one on one time with him. We had fun - he's hysterical and a blast to be with. You can talk about anything with him and he's got that great southern humor that makes you cry you laugh so hard.
Several times he turned the conversation to God and church and Christianity and I would sit on my hands, bite my tongue and listen. Over and over the same issue came up with him - probably not unlike many others who just don't think it's worth the effort to dig in to Christianity - Christians have really proven to be the biggest jerks in his life.
In his business - head deacons have been the ones that robbed him, elders are the ones who try to beat him out of a nickle over every bid, and the loudest Christians have been the worst business partners.
Now there were quite a few old buicks riding around down there with those good ole bumper stickers "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven". But I gotta tell you - I just couldn't say that to him - what a cop out.
As a believers - we've all - including me - got to start living our lives a cut above. Relevancy, and being culturally aware is brilliant - except when it gets all the attention and holiness is totally ignored.
The truth is - you and every other friend I have could join me in praying for my brother - we could serve, love and reach out till we're blue in the face - but if on the other hand we're living a sloppy life, with a sloppy mouth and using Christianity as an excuse - then we've just offered him a great kitchen pass out of the whole thing.
So the question is - are you working against the prayers of others because you won't deal with your stuff? What about your business dealings, what about your character and integrity, what about your speech, and your level of forgiveness and your relationship skills - is their holiness that draws others or carelessness that repels them.
Don't know about you - but I've got work to do. What makes you different?

1 comment:

Cameron said...

I will not give Him that which costs me nothing..... WOW!

I was so moved by your words, Cindy. I love you all, Cameron

Cindy & the Wards

Cindy & the Wards
June 2008

Welcome....

The Ward 5....

Abby's finishing her freshman year in high school.

Michael's 7 and we're finishing our first year of homeschooling.

Matti's 4 and spends his time at preschool and on the trampoline knocking out teeth!

Jeff's in the 89th Squadron at Andrews AFB flying 737's and being the Director of Personnel.

I am knee deep in answered prayers, goldfish and calendars!